Lexia Reading Core5 helps students of all abilities build their foundational reading skills.
18 levels of engaging activities teach year 1 to 6 reading skills taking children on an adventure around the world.
Core5 is also suitable for Year 7 to 8 students who could benefit from doing more work on the year 1 to 6 reading skills.
Here’s how this award-winning, computer-based reading program works:
- Students start by completing placement activities to determine their appropriate starting level.
- Students work independently and at their own pace.
- Students develop fundamental literacy skills in six areas of reading instruction identified by reading experts: phonological awareness, phonics, structural analysis, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
- Students receive personalised lesson scaffolding, corrective feedback, direct instruction when needed, and achievement certificates.
- Our tutor will monitor student progress and performance and make recommendations if a student is struggling with a specific skill.
- Students may also receive paper-and-pencil activities that provide offline practice to further improve and expand their skills.
- Available via the internet, iPads, Android Tablets, or Chromebooks.
Helping Students Master Foundational Reading Skills
Students develop reading skills in a structured, sequential manner with a focus on:
- Foundational skills to develop automaticity and fluency
- Listening and reading comprehension with complex text
- Academic and domain-specific vocabulary to improve comprehension
Engaging, motivational interface that allows self-directed learning
Each of the 18 levels in the program represents a different place in the world and introduces new characters. Students can decide which skills and activities they want to work on within each level. This allows students to be self-directed in their learning. Reward animations and online certificates at the completion of each level help to motivate students.
Each student follows a personalised learning path
Lexia Core 5 provides explicit, systematic, and automatically adaptive activities.
- Students begin with an Autoplacement session to ensure they start at the best level for their abilities.
- Students work independently
- Students work at their own pace
- Engaging warm-up activities ready students for each session.
- Each new skill is demonstrated and explained by the program
- A repeat button enables students to replay the instruction or question.
- Students are then presented with similar questions to apply the same skill demonstrated
- Immediate corrective feedback guides students to develop skills
- Activities automatically adapt, providing additional levels of help for those who need it.
The program helps struggling students to focus by removing some of the answer choices and stimuli on the screen , with 3 automatically adapting steps: ‘Standard’, ‘Guided Practice’ and ‘Instruction’.
The standard step is the first step for each new question. Students are required to be at least 90% accurate at this step in order to advance to subsequent units.
Immediate help is provided to students struggling at the initial Standard step. The Guided Practice step is a scaffolded version of the Standard step. It removes a level of complexity by simplifying a task or embedding supports into the activity.
A further step offers explicit Instruction on a particular skill or content for students who continue to struggle. Students are then asked to apply the rule or skill by completing a simpler version of the task, before being directed back to the Standard step to try again.
Pen and Paper Practice
Additional offline support is also available via email with your tutor. Your tutor can provide Pen and Paper activities to help you to support your students online work if needed.
Available on iPads, Android Tablets, Computers and Chromebooks
Lexia Core5 teaches school year 1 to 6 reading skills.